Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Fire on the Mount

As usual in the monastery, it is the little things that denote something important. I noticed at breakfast yesterday that Robert, our Superior, whispered something to Charles, our postulant. Soon Charles was doing breakfast dishes with us rather than Robert. And in a few minutes the news spread: there is a serious fire in Montecito. Robert appeared and let us know the details -- that the guests at Mount Calvary had been evacuated on Thursday evening to St. Mary's Convent near the Old Mission; that the brothers had evacuated around midnight; and that the situation looked pretty grim.

We got through the morning without anything definite, but then at the noon meal the news came that a friend of Mount Calvary had contacted the Santa Barbara Fire Chief and that the monastery had burned. As the day went on the confirmations mounted, pictures were seen, a live feed NBC helicopter camera spent 90 seconds or so showing Mount Calvary. It was gone.

We had a scheduled monastery finance committee meeting at 2. During it I felt myself having what I assumed was an allergic reaction to something at the noon meal -- impaired respiration, tingling in extremities, tightening up my vocal cords, raised temperature, flushed face. I have never had a food allergy reaction before, except for a very mild one when I eat raw honey, and that is just a few raised bumps on the tongue. How interesting. Bede suggested it was a nervous reaction. Perhaps it was.

I spent 11 years of my life at Mount Calvary. I arrived there in the summer of 1979, a freshly ordained deacon right out of seminary. I was made Guest Master, and spent 2 years cleaning and improving the facilities and creating a more comprehensive administrative system. Two years later our new Superior asked me to be Prior, and I continued in that position for 9 years, until 1990. In that time we brought our guest ministry there into an almost professional operation. I am happy to say that the brethren there since have made the operation better and better. A few years into my time as Prior it became clear that we were going to have to do something serious about the building. The sewage system was gradually collapsing, the neighbors were objecting to our traffic up the hill, the monastery section was primitive to say the least. We joked that we were living in the Bates Motel. The building was running down.

We spent years fund raising while we also worked on developing renovation plans. We spent those years working also with the City of Santa Barbara and our neighbors to gain access to the City's sewage system. It was a long struggle, but we finally reached an agreement: The neighbors would build a new road up the back of the ridge, which would become the new access road, and we would be allowed to run our sewage line through their property to the City main. That insured our continuation at Mount Calvary, since our most recent effort at a leaching field had utterly failed.

We raised the money, got permits for the plan, found a good contractor, rented a house in Goleta to live in for the duration, and the work began in June, 1989. It finished on schedule, right on time for a writers' retreat to be led by Madeleine L'Engle. Madeleine was a tall person, and she had given a gift to install an extra-long tub in the new room she would occupy.

I like to imagine that I knew every inch of that building by the time the renovation was over. I wanted to stay on and build on what we had accomplished, but new leadership in OHC wanted to make changes, and so I was transferred to Berkeley. It was a hard adjustment for me.

So to hear that such an important part of my life was burning, and then to see the pictures, was heartbreaking. I know what the conventional monastic response to such a loss should be -- gratitude for gifts given and detachment as they are taken away. But. But. It will take me a while to get to the conventional place. A part of my life, a part of my heart, is gone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adam,

I heard from a mutual friend in Australia last night about the Mt. Calvary fire. I was shocked and terribly saddened to hear the news. I am so sorry for you and the order and all the visitors and pilgrims and souls in transition and recovery and at a crossroads that spent time in the hills above the Santa Barbara Bay. I have terribly fond memories of Mt. Calvary, first visiting with a friend in 1976 a couple years before thinking about seminary, thought for a while about monastic vocation but kept putting it off, was a third order associate through the 80s and always looked forward to a week retreat there every year. I give thanks that everyone is safe. I worry that there might have been order pets-in-residence that might not have been rescued. The helicopter view from above is heart-rending as I can clearly trace the roads leading to the back of the monastery and the road curving off to the left that lead to the parking lot, the steps up to the front door with the hallway and dining room straight ahead, chapel on the far right, courtyard and patio passed on both sides. I'm so sorry to hear of the order's loss and am grateful that everyone got out safely. Thank you for your eloquent and moving thoughts on the fire. And thank you for wonderful memories of a holy place. I hope you're well, old friend.

Peace, Tim R.

Mark D'Alessio said...

Adam,

There are no words. I am deeply saddened by the news of the fire and thankful that all are safe. OHC is in my prayers.

Love, in Him,

Mark

Robert Zacher said...

Thanks for those words and candid thoughts put down about you and the Mount, Adam. Not all, but most all of us associated with OHC for any length of time have our memories of the Mount and many of us will be alone with them in our own personal grief over this event. I think having those memories as we do and being at a distance is worse in some ways than being on the scene where their is immediate experience and action.

My first shocked reaction was frenzied e-mail with fire photos to a friend who had never even been to Mount Calvary. While he is very interested and sympathetic, he must think I've gone off my rocker. Nevertheless I needed to share.

Now two days later the memories of my few years on the Mount roll in and the opener is truly a black vision from the past. I arrived in Santa Barbara as a newly minted junior professed in the wake of the 1964 Coyote Canyon Fire. Br. Wallace Look met me at the train station and drove me up Gibralter Road through a scene of black, bare, scorched earth and lonely fireplace chimneys, a hellish vision of total devastation. I said it looked like the Atom Bomb had hit. At the top there was untouched Mount Calvary. This time fire took merely took one more step.

Though I saw the regrowth of greenery, the new houses and the soot and smoke damage cleaned at Mount Calvary itself, that first impression of the place remained with me. Now that memory comes alive again with the Tea Fire and the terrible loss of Mount Calvary itself and so much else on the coast of California.

Unlike the legions of awed guests, faithful associates, regular retreatants and certainly more than a few monks who arrived at a monastery in undoubted Pacific Coast paradise, I and some others in the past had the contradictory and alarming sense of the place as one of potential danger.

Mount Calvary was and is, what's left of it, the same as so much of coastal California itself. Freakish, unknown, hardly believable menace lurks behind incredible and stunning beauty. It's just that the contrasts are so sharply defined that one and the same they take your breath away. Since Holy Cross didn't actually design or build a complex of that size in such an obviously dangerous spot for fire, I hope such a view can be more easily absorbed by those who had never seen one of Mount Calvary's close escapes from fire in the past.

It's a relief to read what you have written and then write something about this tragic event at Mount Calvary myself. Shock and grief, as we know, can sometimes cause such bizarre things to happen to us. In that case I know recall and sharing help us regain some emotional balance over loss.

Unknown said...

Adam, You are so right about how things over which we have no control can toss us off the rails!!
I visited twice and loved the place. It was the courtyard that I loved and the views. When I went there first in 1975-ish, someone warned me of the rattlesnakes. I didn't stray far from the buildings.

C. Elsworth said...

Dear Adam, Each of you in the OHC community has been so much in my thoughts and prayers this last month, since I learned that William died, and especially now with what is really the death of the Mount Calvary facility that you knew so well and for which you worked so hard, which so many people counted as a significant home (spiritual and physical), as I have done West Park.

Prayers for you, Adam, and continuing prayers for the community.

In peace,
Chris Wogaman

swk said...

Dear Adam,

Haven't seen you in a long time, but you were Prior at Mt Cal when I moved to California and began making regular retreats there.I always enjoyed our conversations. I didn't realize that you'd made the move back to being in residence and am enjoying your blog.

I am personally grieved over the fire and the loss of the monastery. The photo's look like ground zero after 9/11.

My husband and I were planning a visit on Thanksgiving, our third time. Even when I was not there, just thinking about being there had a centering effect on my priesthood and life. Parking the car in front of the building, I felt myself able to breathe more deeply, except when I was up there during the Santa Ana's and it was oven-like.

There will be new life and ways for the Order to excercise their life-giving hospitality to those of us "in the world." But I am sad, troubled, disoriented by this loss to all of us. It sounds selfish to say that--the monks, after all, lost their home--but the loss of their gracious sharing of Christ's virtues, their presence with us, embodied in the place, is profound.

I am praying for you all.

Blessings,
Susan

Tay Moss said...

Adam, thanks for sharing your reflections on the Mount. I know many people continue to pray for the OHC community as you all move forward. -t