Saturday, September 6, 2008

Why start a blog now?

Why start a blog now? Well, this is an important turning point for my life, and I thought it might
be nice to begin to share experiences and thoughts. The beauty of the web log system is instant publication and distribution, communication with old friends and making new ones along the way.

What is this turning point? Actually, several events have converged.

I have been a monk for exactly 35 years now -- actually, 35 years and one day. I joined the Order of the Holy Cross as a postulant on September 5, 1973. So this blog celebrates an important anniversary for me.

Also, my life has just changed. For the last 16 years I have been what we in OHC call a "monk not in residence" (MNIR) . During that time I have been the priest for two wonderful congregations, St. Michael's Episcopal Church in Anaheim, CA, and The Episcopal Church of St. Edward the Martyr in New York City. In June OHC elected a new Superior, Br. Robert Sevensky, and he asked me to return to living in the community as Novice Master at our monastery in West Park, NY. I spent most of the summer preparing the parish for that change as best I could, taking some much needed vacation and moving. This week I have finally arrived at the monastery and have settled in, ready to begin this new part of my life.

So I thought this would be a good time to start a blog.

And what will I put in this blog? What is it for? Well, partly vanity, I suppose. It's nice to see what you've written out there in public and get a reaction. But mostly to share ideas about the monastic and the spiritual life. I like reading and teaching the ancient monastic writings. I like thinking about my life and other people's lives as places where the Holy Spirit enters in and acts. I like the use of memory as a path to understanding. I like being quiet with Scripture. Actually, I like being quiet period. I like preaching and writing, at least in part because when I express myself in those forms, I do some of my best thinking -- feelings and intuitions take shape.

So this is for me as much as for you, to put feelings and thoughts into words, to try them out and see if they make sense. And to share that, in dialogue if you wish, to send it out and see what it might do.

1 comment:

Tay Moss said...

Welcome to the blogo-sphere, Brother.
-t